Information below is from 2021. The plan is to host the entire 3-race, Thursday evening series in 2022.
2021 Results – Esker 8k
**Please note that results from both wave starts have been combined for overall results under the “Wave #2 – 7:00” Results.
**Also, remember that this race was for fun, and while there were some fast times, and some people that did extra distance, it’s all about getting out on the trails with people on a beautiful evening..
*Next year we’re hopeful that the Series will return and we can race for the coveted Series Winner Bowl!
The Birds Hill Trail Series is traditionally a summer, Thursday-evening, three-race series held at Birds Hill Provincial Park on Treaty 1 Land, just north of Winnipeg, Manitoba.
For 2021, due to the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic and to comply with public health orders and the timing of those orders, there will be a single, in-person, self-timed event called the Esker 8k and will be held on Thursday, August 19th.
Please read details below.
Cup Free Race – Hydration and food will only be available at the finish line. There will be no water available on route and racers are encouraged to carry their own water and other supplies they may require throughout the race.
Esker 8k – Thursday, August 19
- Wave #1 (5:00 PM Start)
- Bib Pick-Up & Check-In 4:30 PM
- Racer Meeting 4:45 PM
- Race for Wave #1 begins around 5:00 PM with a rolling start. This event will be self-timed.
- Wave #2 (7:00 PM Start)
- Bib Pick-Up & Check-In 6:30 PM
- Racer Meeting 6:45 PM
- Race for Wave #1 begins around 7:00 PM with a rolling start. This event will be self-timed.
Participation in this event is dependant on following COVID-19 procedures and current Public Health Orders. Please wash your hands or hand sanitize regularly and maintain physical distance from other participants. This will be particularly pertinent at the start of each wave.
Route & Start Location
Everything will be happening from Group Use #1 – Site 7 and will use the following route. The route will be flagged with orange flagging, which you will always find on your left-hand side.
Even though vaccinations are up, and case numbers are down, I still believe it’s prudent to exercise caution in organizing and gathering with larger groups of people. As such, this race will be split into 2 waves with a cap of 75 participants/wave. Additional spaces may be opened up if vaccination and case number trends continue. If we sell out quickly and are able to open more spots, that will be advertised via our social media channels.
Esker 8k Registration
- Registration will begin on Monday, August 9th at Noon.
- Registration will close on Sunday, August 15th at 11:59 PM or once it’s sold out.
- $35.00 through UltraSignup and an UltraSignup fee will be added to registration.
- Please note, with registration being so close to the event, there are NO REFUNDS, DEFERRALS or BIB TRANSFERS. This includes if the race is cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions or other issues such as trail closures.
- Photo ID must be presented at bib pick-up.
- **Please take all these details into account before registering.
- Access to a marked and enjoyable route.
- Bibs with logo.
- First aid support on site at the finish line.
- Some post-race goodies including some snacks lovingly prepared by my Mom. #carlarocks
- On the Edge Running and Birds Hill Trail Series – Esker 8k stickers. **Sorry, no patch this year since it isn’t really a series.
DNF’s (Did Not Finish)
If you aren’t able to finish the route or get lost, you are still responsible to get back to the finish area. While there will be volunteers sweeping the course of flagging, no one is coming along the trail to pick you up. Know the route and where you’re going!
On the trail, you are responsible for you! Please make sure you have enough fluids, proper gear, appropriate first aid, and know how to use it. If you see someone in trouble, please provide help.