Sadly, on October 31, 2020, the decision was made that the Frozen Falcon 8-Hour Winter Endurance Run would not be happening in 2021.
Between the rising case numbers in Manitoba, Winnipeg moving to Code Red on Monday, November 2 and the challenge of safe, physical distancing in a yurt over the course of 8-hours, cancelling was the right and safe thing to do in this time of a global pandemic.
Please know that even in this challenging year, I remain committed to organizing races and promoting this awesome sport and community in our province and will continue to do everything possible to ensure that this and other races I organize continue into the future when the context allows for the safety of all participants and volunteers.
On that note, mark your calendars for Sunday, February 6, 2022. The Yurt is already booked and I’m hopeful that we can gather together again to slog through the snow on a beautiful day, in a beautiful place.
**Info below is from the 2020 event.
Can you winter ultra??
Frozen Falcon is a winter, 8-hour, looped trail running race held at the Falcon Ridge Ski Slopes located at Falcon Trails Resort. The loop is 6.5ish km/4ish mile and follows the High Lake Multi-Use Trail.
To have a fun time, pushing your limits to see how far you can go in 8-hours. Go hard for 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours or the whole time. Just do your best and have fun!
The ultimate challenge?
To run 8 loops, equalling just over 50k in the 8-hours, which will earn you the Frozen Falcon 50k Finisher toque!
If you have already accomplished this challenge, and received the toque, don’t fret. If you hit 50k again, you will receive a snowflake patch which can be added to your toque.
Check out the “all time loops” document at the top of the page. Those who hit 40 cumulative loops will receive special recognition and an award to be determined. It will definitely happen in year 5 of this race, but can anyone get to 40 loops in 2021…?? Will depend how they do this year.
Sound like fun? Here are the details.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE REGISTERING.
Sunday, February 2, 2020
- Check-In begins at 8:00 AM
- Racer Meetings at 8:45 AM
- Start at 9:00 AM
We have a cap of 60 participants.
- Early registration begins November 10 at 8:00 AM and will run for 2 weeks. Registration happens through UltraSignUp which will have a fee tacked on to the event cost.
- Regular registration begins November 25. Registration happens through UltraSignUp which will have a fee tacked on to the event cost.
- Early Registration – $95
- Regular Registration – $115
- Registration closes once we’ve reached our cap of 60, or January 12, whichever comes first.
- Please note there are NO REFUNDS, BIB TRANSFERS or DEFERRALS. **Please take this into consideration before registering.
**New for 2020 – We will have exclusive access to the Event Yurt!! This means that you are able to store gear at the same place you’ll check in after each loop. It’s going to be awesome!!!**
Access to a groomed, winter-use trail, simple aid station food (see more details re: aid below), professional medic support, post-race meal, Frozen Falcon participant patch, and special 50k finisher award.
There will also be awards for 1st Place Male & Female. (Furthest distance, faster time for tie in distance.)
Additional Race Details
Check In & Start
Check in begins at 8:00 AM on Sunday, February 2, with a mandatory racer meeting at 8:45 AM. Race begins at 9:00 AM, finishing at 5:00 PM.
Even though this is a looped race, it’s still a winter event, therefore you will be required to carry the following gear which must be presented at check-in.
- 500ml insulated water.
- Extra toque.
- Extra windproof jacket.
- Emergency blanket.
We will use manual timing for this event, and there will be no live tracking. At the end of each loop, you need to enter the yurt to check-in when coming in. If at any point you decide you’ve done enough distance and are ready to chill out, you must let the timing crew know. We don’t want to spend our evening looking for someone on the trail that didn’t let us know they were finished.
The race will take place at Falcon Ridge Ski Slopes, starting and finishing outside the yurt. We encourage family and crew to join you as there are lots of activities to do at this location such as skiing, snowboarding, XC skiing, and tubing. Note there is also food for sale on site. Come spend the day supporting your runner and having lots of fun at this gem of a getaway.
The route will follow the groomed, High Lake Multi-Use Trail (6.5 km/loop). There will be MINIMAL ADDITIONAL MARKINGS added to the route other than what is already being used. See link above for description and route.
In case of soft-snow/warm-weather conditions, an alternate, shorter route will be used that will include the Top of the World Trail. This decision will be made at the discretion of Falcon Ridge Ski Slopes in order to maintain the trail for future use. Let’s all wish for a colder, but beautiful day!!
As a looped course, you will regularly return to the yurt where you will find the aid station set up. It will consist of chips, candy, instant noodle soup (ramen) and water and Nuun Hydration (bring your own cup, if need be). Anything that you want for your race beyond that you can provide. A meal will be provided starting at 3:00 PM. Falcon Ridge Ski Slopes also has food for sale (burgers, fries, beer, etc) in the chalet that operates from 10-4.
Snowshoes are allowed.
On the trail, you are responsible for you! Please make sure you have the required gear, and know how to use it. If you see someone in trouble, please provide help.
If you are looking to stay in the area for the weekend, there are many options in the area.
- Falcon Trails Resort
- Stay right on site of the event!! This year there are a couple of cabins that have been blocked off for Frozen Falcon participants .
- Registrations can only be done over phone (204-349-8273) during office hours (9AM-5PM), and proof of registration is required (you’ll receive a confirmation email when you register on UltraSignup). You can forward that email to the resort (firstname.lastname@example.org) and then give them a call.
- These cabins will only be available to book between November 10th and November 30th, on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Falcon Lake Hotel
- The Falcon Beach Ranch
- Crescent Beach Cottages – Cottages and motel located adjacent to the West Hawk Lake main beach.
- Keystone Resort – Cabin rentals and motel suites in West Hawk townsite.
- Tallpine Lodges – Cabin rentals adjacent to the West Hawk Lake main beach.
- West Hawk Lake Resort – Cabin rentals in the West Hawk Town-site.